Small North

Fabric yarn balls in a window display Ubud, Bali

Several years back, as a student in a textiles unit at university I was having much fun exploring many different techniques among which twining, grass stitching and book-making were my favourites. After learning a few different ways to make a book, we were given the words "small north" and told to go off and interpret them into a book of our own creation.  And having been several years prior to that a student of art therapy in which the focus was on process, exploration and discovery, this directive was completely to my liking. 

For some reason (maybe - or maybe reason is irrelevant) 'small north' was associated with the island of Bali, which, from where I live is 'a small island in the north'. The book I ended up making was a sample book (accordion style) with swatches of hand loomed fabric collected on previous visits to the island. 

Well the point of all this is that now I find myself back on this small island in the north, settling in for a while, making connections and continuing to explore how to be creatively nomadic or nomadically creative - not quite sure which! The other day I visited the markets at Klungkung which is where you find an amazing variety of the hand loomed fabric I used in the small north book


I've found a ceramics workshop where I can continue to play with clay 


and I am always inspired to work with found/discarded materials 







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawing life

A lull in the proceedings

Ceramics go-slow